Monday 16 March 2015

Eight Months of Tears



“Orkney! Isn’t that in Norway or somewhere?”! 

Words to this effect have been screeched at me by family and friends alike over the past few weeks! Yes, Orkney! 

Orkney is a long way away (694 miles from my house to be precise), an island in the North Atlantic, north of the Scottish mainland, south of Shetland, once owned and annexed by Norway before becoming part of Scotland in 1472. But why Orkney? We were talking of Scotland in the last blog: the Highlands, Haggis and tartan, now we are in Viking territory.
 
I first went to Orkney the day after I got engaged. We were staying on the north coast of Scotland near Durness, two days before we were meant to go home we decided  to jump on a ferry to Orkney and visit Skara Brae – the Scottish Pompeii (although no volcanoes were involved in its preservation just sand)! 
And so my love affair with these remote islands began. 



Orkney is made up of about 70 islands, 20 of which are inhabited. The north islands and north Mainland are wild and windy. Jagged cliffs plummet to the sea, home to sheltering puffins and gannets, whilst arctic terns nest on the grassy cliff tops. In the Scapa flow reside seals, whales and dolphins, even a pod of Orca. To the south of the Mainland; coves, harbours and sandy beaches. The people are friendly, their history is rich and diverse, their whisky… gives you a headache if drunk in quantity! We tried to move there 6 years ago, but without success, so why try again now?

In June 2014 my mother in law had a stroke; she was terminally ill and was going to die very soon. We all prepared for her death as best we could, explained, again, as best we could, what was happening to the children and spent the next couple of weeks travelling the 300 mile round trip to visit her in hospital. Suddenly, the weeks had turned to a month, two months... three... then suddenly it was Autumn.  Miraculously she was still with us, but not with us, as she never really regained consciousness. We continued to travel each and every weekend from Somerset to the Midlands to visit her and my father in law, and this was how life was for eight months.

Waiting for someone to die is probably one of the worst things we will ever have to do. We experience the grief of losing someone we love, feelings of helplessness, anger and sadness, but then as time goes by, we feel something else, something taboo, something we shouldn’t admit to… We start to want them to die! We cry at the thought of it, but there comes a point where you feel that the person you love no longer has quality of life, no dignity in their dying and no hope of recovery. Then the pain you feel is not in their dying, but in their living. My mother in law passed away on 6th February, 34 weeks, 238 days after her stroke. 
 
For eight months I planned my escape. My cottage by the sea. In my mind I would sit by the fire, drinking my whisky, listening to the wind, rushing and roaring, drowning out the silence of our sadness. My husband and I shared in this dream, the thing that was keeping us going over the dark winter months, through the tears… And then we decided to do something about it.

 I started to apply for jobs.

 I applied for a few posts in Scotland and then had an interview, but nothing really felt quite right. But then… A post came up… In Orkney… And then… The offer of an interview! Could this be it? Could our dream actually become a reality? I felt scared, a little frightened, under pressure to make this happen. So I did something I would never, ever consider doing... I did nothing! 

I made the conscious decision to place myself in the hands of fate and not be scared. Not feel anxious, impatient or excited about the possibility of it all. I would be calm and just “go with the flow”, if it was meant to be, it would happen. I would go to the interview, do the presentation and see what happened next. I was not going to worry about the money, how I was going to get there, the child care etc.  Fate would be my guide… Sounds daft I know! But you know what…

 It worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment