Monday 16 March 2015

I Was Born In The Wrong County




Many people flock to Wiltshire to experience the countryside and the history, the picturesque villages that film and TV producers salivate over. They picnic on the Salisbury Plain or the Marlborough Downs, sip tea in “Larkrise” or “Candleford”, a weekend break from the hub bub of city life.

 I left Wiltshire at 18 and moved to Hampshire. Again, another beautiful part of Britain, I lived not far from the New Forest, but Hampshire was far too populated for me, so again I moved. This time to Somerset; yet another rural county, yet another setting for the latest period drama. So now I live amongst the famous folk… the drummer from that indie band, the fashion designer for that famous store, even Hollywood stars have second (third, fourth…) homes here. All drawn by the voluptuous rolling Mendip Hills, pretty villages and “hip” towns. But still I am not satisfied.



I have no reason to want to leave. I have a lovely stone cottage that backs onto a river with views over the trees and fields. My cottage is in a pretty village, with wonderful people, many of whom have become very good friends, and of course my amazing friends and family live near by, and they are just the best. Getting to my children’s school is like a trip to Neverland;  down a steep hill, down to twisty roads with high hedges, past a waterfall, then the manor house, that has a helicopter in the garden! There are Guinea fowl and ducks that aimlessly wander, trespassing onto well-manicured lawns, chickens peck and scratch, only disturbed by the collared doves and I am not even exaggerating! As you would expect all the cottages in the village have roses growing around the door in summer and daffodils and snow drops line the road side verges in spring. The school itself is a tiny Victorian building, only 40 pupils, who play in the shade of a huge Hornbeam tree.

Many people dream to have what I have, so why would anyone in their right mind want to leave? This is why I decided to write this blog, to help friends and family understand my reasons for wanting to move. It is not about them, I will miss them It is not about the house, the village, the school, money or employment. It is just simply that, since I was 18 I have wanted to live in Scotland, by the sea. 

It is hard to explain the pull that you get to a place that you have no family connection to. However I will try…
 I have always felt a need to be by the sea, even as a teenager. At weekends my mate and I would drive (well she would drive as I hadn’t passed my test by then) down to Swanage and paddle in the sea, watch the sun go down, eat fish and chips and drive home before the 11pm curfew! When most 17 year olds were drinking Mad Dog 2020 on the street corner or shagging each other, we drove to the coast! Then at 18 she and I went for a week’s holiday in Edinburgh and that is when it all started for me… My love affair with the Scotland and its coastline.

To be honest, it can be any beach, not just a Scottish one, but when I stand on the beach and breathe in the sea air, all my worries and stresses disappear. It doesn’t matter if the sea is summer holiday, ice cream and deckchair calm, or a raging tempest of wild untameable power, the effect of just being there is the same. I think my children feel it too. Occasionally in the midst of winter they will ask to go to the beach. When you ask why, after all it isn’t really “beach weather”, they will say “I just want to go. We can take our wellies and a picnic and wrap up warm”! Quite right to!

The same is true for Scotland itself. When the M6 becomes the M74 I feel myself relax and my mood lightens, I drink in the scenery and imagine what my life would be living in that cottage, or the farm house over there. However, on the return journey at the same point of the motorway, I start to feel quite sad. I find myself twisting round and staring sadly at the Welcome to Scotland sign on the North bound carriage way, whilst trying to avoid looking at the Welcome to England sign – stupid I know!

 Whenever there is a period of upheaval in my life, I plan my escape. My cottage by the sea or on the edge of a sea loch. I will spend my days watching the wildlife through binoculars or shell seeking on the beach with the kids, and my evenings will be spent sat by the fire listening to wind, drinking whisky. A romantic dream, I know! But now this dream is one step closer to happening, and very soon, all being well, our Awfully Big Orkney Adventure will be a reality…



















No comments:

Post a Comment